Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Review: A Memory of Light

Read: A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson
Stars: Five

Drinking: Irish Breakfast Tea, Twinings

A Memory of Light is the final installment of The Wheel of Time.  I've been reading the series for 15 years, and it's hard to believe it's over.  The book is a long wrap-up of the series - we learn the fates of major and minor characters, a few characters come into their potential, and a few lingering mysteries are solved.  The final battle between the Dragon and the Dark One played out quite differently than I expected, but it was fantastic. The whole book was a heartwarming (and heartbreaking) farewell to characters that had become close friends. 

I'm in the process of going back and re-reading the series, now that I've finished the whole thing.  Jordan's brilliance is coming out in each book - events in the final installment are foreshadowed as far back as the first book!  Every time I re-read, I get more out of the series, and now that it is complete, I am noticing even more than ever.  Things that seemed strange or out of charcter are becoming suddenly clear (i.e. that character was evil all along! The evil plot is so clear now!).  I love a well written book or series that can be so new every time it is read.  Maybe I can never have the magical experience of reading it for the first time again, but I am enjoying the magic of uncovering secrets I never saw before.


No comments:

Post a Comment